Executive Director Bio
Linda Bruins continues to revitalize our community while keeping her focus on the most-important aspect: the people. The always-smiling Executive Director of Evergreen A United Neighbourhood has built a reputation for working with people of all ages and from all walks of life, moving everyone toward a common vision – strong people living in a healthy and safe community. “I felt overall, we’ve always had a good community, but with safety issues,” Bruins said. “I’ve been aware for a long time, growing up in the Simpson-Ogden neighbourhood, that we need to support one another.”
“Everybody wants to help,” she said.
Growing up in this neighbourhood has shaped the person I am today and I honoured to work in this community for over a decade .
Evergreen a United Neighbourhood, a neighbourhood association serving the Simpson-Ogden neighbourhood, has become a huge success, but it’s not the only initiative Linda has embraced as she works to make Thunder Bay a safer, more-vibrant place to live. She’s also a former board member at the PARO Centre for Women’s Enterprise. She has received numerous prestigious accolades for her tireless support of Thunder Bay and its people, including a 2012 Good Citizen Award from the City of Thunder Bay, and a 2012 June Callwood Outstanding Achievement Award for Voluntarism from the Ontario government. Perhaps most importantly, Linda has proven to be a valued and trusted friend and ally to those she works with. One such colleague notes Linda is “always there when we need her, is a great listener, and is kind and supportive to everyone she works with.”
- 2008 Local Heroes Award Urban Leadership
- 2010 Paro Volunteer of the year at the Women of Distinction Awards
- 2010 Woman of Distinction at the Women of Distinction
- 2011 Illka T. Ovaska Award for Social Responsibility through the Bay Credit Union
- 2011 5 year Volunteer Service Awards for Paro Centre for Women’s Enterprise by the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration
- 2012 Outstanding Community Project at the inaugural City of Thunder Bay Crime Prevention Awards
- 2012 June Callwood Outstanding Achievement Award for Volunteerism (to Linda Bruins)
- 2012 Good Citizen Award – City of Thunder Bay to Linda Bruins2014 Community Hero Award to Linda Bruins Mayors Community Safety Awards
- 2014 Paros top 20 in 20 years award